The Six Double Edge Blades That Have Disappointed Me Greatly!!!! 

None Come From China!

Most people love to hate Chinese blades....
But take it from someone who deals with most Chinese wet shaving companies things have changed. Most Chinese companies such as Baili, Ying Jili, and Cloud have invested in the same German automated equipment that the German Personna blades are made on. With Swedish steel now being used instead of Chinese, not only has the sharpness of the blades improved, but their usable life has improved as well.
This is not to say that Chinese blades are good. They have improved to the point of usability though.
What I am after is the every day mainstream blades that look good, but have disappointed me greatly. These blades are popular, but not with me.
Remember, this is my subjective opinion, Perhaps you share it in some cases. Perhaps you will argue with me on others. Feel free to leave your comments below.
There are other blades that you should be wary of. These blades have don't have design flaws, inconsistencies, but according to me...... just are not as good as their hype. 
So with no further ado let's explore my list!

Disappointing Blade Number Six

BIC - Chrome Platinum - Double Edge Razor Blades
BIC?? Yes. BIC.
These are traditional double edge blades - stainless steel with chrome-platinum coating. They are known through-out the wet shaving world as smooth shavers.Unfortunately they are unnecessarily expensive and in my opinion become too sharp after your first shave with the blade. When they become sharper (after shave #1,) I find that they become unpredictable, unforgiving, and unwieldy.
I have tried these in MANY razors. I have never gotten a close shave from a BIC blade without quite a bit of blood-letting..
So I won't use a BIC blade, even if you paid me.
Made in Greece. They can keep 'em.

Disappointing Blade Number Five

Shark?? Yes. Shark. Meh!
Shark, Super Chrome, DE Blades, Double Edge Razor Blades
Shark are very sneaky blades indeed.
They have cool packaging. They are made by LORD one of my favourite companies in the wet shaving world. The worst part is they feel safe and familiar. A  great "catch" so to speak. They are also a great value. Wouldn't the average wet shaver jump at the chance to buy them? They usually sell around 9 cents per blade! What a bargain.
Actually they suck!
Sharks come in two different types. The chromium stainless and the stainless. Which is better? Neither. But if you must try them, buy the stainless.
My gripe with Shark is that they just are not sharp, although the stainless is a bit sharper than the chrome, especially when new.  The sharpness fades quickly.
Since finding the right blade for your razor is a very subjective experience, grab these blades in a circumspect 5 blade pack, you never know. But you've been warned, Shark's are deceptively DULL.
Made in Egypt.

Disappointing Blade Number Four

Ready?? Feather!!! No, I am not crazy!!!!
Feather, sharpest, razor blades, DE razors
Okay so now you figure that I have totally flipped!
But here's the facts folks!
Feather SUPPOSEDLY makes the world's sharpest blades. True? Perhaps.
They are so expensive. Polsilver is a less expensive alternative. They are smother, and they stay sharp longer. Needless to say, there are other options that are as good for less than half the price.
If you are new to wet shaving stay away!!! Feather blades are difficult to use. Your technique must be perfect. You can get cut up really badly with a Feather blade. I mean REALLY badly.
I would propose that Feather blades work best in a very mild razor. The Feather Popular comes to mind. But what is the point???? Just use a more aggressive razor and a less aggressive blades. You'll probably get the same results at less than half of the price.
Also I find that Feather sharpness doesn't last through very many shaves. So I stay away. Sorry Feather.
Made in Japan.

Disappointing Blade Number Three...

Merkur? You bet your life..... Expensive for no good reason.

Merkur, Solingen, Super
Merkur has the audacity to sell these pathetic, unsharp, lousy blades for $1 each!!! These are just about the most expensive blades that you can purchase for a double-edge razor. In the end, a Derby Extra (cost $.08 each...) is a much better blade at 8% of the price. Guess what according to what I have experienced the Derby blade is sharper and smoother.
Mekur blades are made in Germany.

Disappointing Blade Number Two...

Ready? Perma Sharp. So unpredictable.....

Perma Sharp, Razor Blades, DE Blades
So what is wrong with Perma Sharp blades?
They have a reputation of being, and really are sharp. They are not expensive. They are pretty smooth compared to Feather. 
I have found that these blades are super unpredictable. Some are sharper than others. Some are smoother than others. If you get a "well behaved" Perma Sharp, a BBS shave is virtually guarenteed. But, a shave later with the same razor, and the same soap, you can really experience nicks and cuts pretty badly.

What is the MOST Disappointing Blade I have  used??

Dorco Prime!

I have found these blades to be UNPREDICTABLE and DANGEROUS!!!!!
I really wanted to like these. I just couldn't. They are expensive, and I found them to be very unpredictable. Not that smooth for the first shave, but predictable. On subsequent shaves..... watch out!  
Heralded as Italy's bestselling razor blades for almost 100 years, Bolzano blades are stainless steel double-edge razor blades with advanced titanium plating and sharpening process that should make for a smooth, comfortable, and 'cutting edge' shave. Unfortunately, I have not found that to be the case.
While today they are made in Germany, Bolzano razor blades are still famous for their keen edges and longevity among barbers and wet-shaving enthusiasts alike. I feel that this is a myth, at least for me.
I have tried these blades in 5 different razors. The results?
Edwin Jagger DB89 - Lots of blood.
Merkur 33C - More blood.
Parker 67 - Tons of blood.
My own Espresso - Less blood, but blood just the same.
Vikings Blade Vulcan - Blood! Blood! Blood!
No matter the razor, no matter how hard I tried to be careful, the blade skips, nicks, and cuts everything in sight except your beard! 
So There You Have It!
Disappointment from Dorco Prime, Perma Sharp, BIC, Merkur,  Shark and Feather Double Edged Safety Razor Blades
These are the blades that have disappointed me the most as a wet shaver! They are blades that I AVOID at all costs.
So let me ask YOU. What is the most disappointing blades that you have ever tried? Let me know in the comments below.
- Sheldon

Comments

Popular posts from this blog